Frequently Asked Questions
- Home delivery
- In-store pick up
On July 1, 2013, section 6407 of the Affordable Care Act established operational protocols necessary to comply with face-to-face encounter requirements for certain DME items. The law states that:What must be documented in the face-to-face encounter?
- A patient encounter must occur within six months prior to the order being written for DME.
- A physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant or clinical nurse specialist must have a face-to-face encounter with the patient.
- If the face-to-face encounter has occurred within six months and is completed by a physician assistant, nurse practitioner, or clinical nurse specialist, the physician must cosign and date the pertinent portion of the face-to-face encounter.
Beneficiary was evaluated and/or treated for a condition that supports the DME ordered.What DME items require a face-to-face and a written order prior to delivery?
- Bilevel positive airway pressure
- Cough assist
- Hospital beds
- Oscillatory devices
- Seat lift
- Traction devices
- Wheelchairs and accessories